About Lost Province Brewing Co.
Opened in August 2014, Lost Province Brewing Co. is a destination microbrewery and gastrobpub located in historic downtown Boone, NC. We brew authentic and innovative craft beer and serve savory wood fired fare. As a small, family owned and operated business, we are committed to our community, environment and employees and strive above all to provide an experience of gracious hospitality for all of our guests.
We make and serve the highest quality food and beer by…
- Brewing classically authentic and innovative beers to the highest standards.
- Serving our guests fresh and vibrant food as quickly as possible.
- Incorporating the beer we brew in many of our dishes in novel and creative ways.
- Cooking with wood fire directly in our copper-clad Le Panyol wood fired oven.
- Using local and organic ingredients in our food wherever possible.
We work to make the High Country COMMUNITY a better place to live by…
- Providing a vibrant and fun social gathering place for all members of the community.
- Supporting local non-profit organizations and community groups working to make the High Country of North Carolina a more vibrant, healthy and just place to live. Click here to learn more.
- Purchasing local and organic foods from farmers in the heart of the High Country.
- Doing business with other local and sustainable small businesses.
- Working with local and regional musicians to make Lost Province a premier destination for great music.
We strive to be good stewards of our ENVIRONMENT by…
- Working to become a carbon neutral business through the use of green technologies and energy efficient appliances.
- Practicing the principle of reduce, reuse and recycle in all aspects of our business.
- Recycling all spent grain and pre-consumer vegetable waste for animal feed or to be made into compost.
- Sourcing as much locally grown and organic food as possible.
We make Lost Province Brewing Co. a great place for our EMPLOYEES by…
- Ensuring that all employees are paid a living wage.
- Providing employees with full time employment opportunities and job benefits, including health insurance.
- Including full time employees in a company profit sharing plan.
A brief history of the “Lost Province” of North Carolina
During the late part of the 19th century and early part of the 20th century, the three counties in the northwestern corner of North Carolina – Ashe,Alleghany, and Watauga Counties – were known as the Lost Province due to their geographic and economic isolation from the remainder of the state. Bordered on their south and their east by the “The Blue Ridge” eastern continental divide, these three counties were historically cut off from many of the social, political, and economic happenings in the rest of North Carolina. A major geographic barrier, “The Blue Ridge” acted as a hindrance to the development of transportation infrastructure, limited contact with outside areas, and slowed economic development in the region following The Civil War.
A common joke in the remainder of the state was that the only way to get the Lost Province was to be born there.
To us, the term “Lost Province” signifies a place that remains somewhat difficult to get to, perhaps hard-to-find, but is a place to be sought, and a place where you will find food and drink for your body and soul, relaxation, fellowship and peace. We hope you will enjoy your time in “The Lost Province.”
Learn more about North Carolina’s Lost Province here
Drop us a line…
We greatly value customer suggestions, questions, constructive feedback and praise! Leave us a comment below, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll get back to you right away.
Lost Province Brewing Company is a family run business that is built around team work. Each employee is a valued team member with no employee more or less important than another regardless of their position. Lost Province will excel when we work as a team.
Lost Province utilizes an employment model built around working as a team. Lost Province is committed to providing the opportunity for full time employment with benefits and structuring pay to provide employees with the opportunity to earn a living wage for Watauga County.
The employment model at Lost Province hires all non-management restaurant staff at the same base wage, currently set at minimum wage. Tips are collectively pooled each day and shared with all non-management restaurant staff working that day as part of the wages for the day. The total tips collected each day will be posted for employees to see. Lost Province will distribute the tips collected that day based on a formula that includes total hours worked that day and the employee’s position. If the team works together, it is anticipated that non-management restaurant staff will make or exceed the living wage standard for Watauga County.
We believe that if the dishes are clean, the food is great, and the service is excellent that our guests will have an exceptional experience, which in most cases is customarily acknowledged through tipping. The tip is a result of the team effort and we believe that all team members should share in the tipping. The team has the opportunity to exceed expectations with every guest and to directly benefit from working as a team to provide an experience of gracious hospitality to our guests.